Thursday, June 12, 2008
Summer Poolside Reading (and, assignments)
This is just to remind you to read during the summer the following:
1. Capitalism: A Very Short Introduction by James Fulcher
back to back)
2. One Economics, Many Recipes: Globalization, Institutions, and Economic Growth by Dani Rodrik
The Rodrik is a much more difficult book so I can not expect you to read all of it. I would like you to read:
* the Introduction
* Chapter 1: 'Fifty Years of Growth (and lack thereof): An Interpretation'
* Chapter 4: 'Industrial Policy for the Twenty-First Century', except for pages 113-119; just skim through table 4.2
* Chapter 5: ' Institutions for High Quality Growth' (a must up to page 166; the rest of the chapter you can read in college)
* Chapter 9: ' Globalization for Whom?'
Remember that you can easily answer many questions using the net (google the term - or, email me the question).
I will have your Dasgupta assignments and books available from Tuesday June 24 or even earlier. I will have also emailed you feedback on Commentary #1. Remember that I need commentary #2 (macro related) by September 23. So, search for articles. You could also be searching for articles related to International Economics (exchange rates, protectionism etc).
BTW, this weekend, if you get the hiccups, it will be because I will be grading your exams...